Skip navigation.

U of L New Media Rep Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2005

New Media Faculty Meeting Minutes #28 

Tuesday, January 25, 2005
1:15 p.m. – W870


Present: David Clearwater, Chair, Bob Cousins, Nick Fai, Jill Flaman, Terry Gallie, James Graham, Christopher Moore, Gerald Prost, Daniela Sirbu, Will Smith, Jeff Milner, Student Representative and Jill Payant, Recording Secretary

Regrets: Anna Pickering

I Adoption of the Agenda

II Adoption of and Business Arising from the Previous Minutes (sent to the Department Members on Monday, January 24, 2005)

III Items for Information
3.1 Chair’s Report – addressed in items below.

3.2 Scott Dyer (Nelvana) Update (Clearwater) Scott has been contacted and agreed to visit the U of L. Although the specifics are not known, he will be on campus for approximately one full day, flying in the night before, and leaving the day after his visit. The final itinerary may closely resemble the following:
A brief department presentation
Tour of the facilities
Brief meetings with faculty members
Visiting Artist presentation on Motion Capture

3.3 Newmedia-L (Clearwater) Please remind your students in class to register for the newmedia-l listserve, as job postings will be made available to the students through this venue.

3.4 Visiting Professor Hei Young Shin (Clearwater) Professor Shin will be introduced at the next Fine Arts Council Meeting on Thursday, January 27, and at the U of L Art Gallery exhibition and reception on Friday, January 28, at 4:00 p.m. outside W600 – Art Gallery Entrance.

3.5 Banff Centre Video-Conferencing Collaboration (Clearwater) Is interested in getting involved with U of L videoconferencing and will be on campus in the afternoon of Feb 17, 05 to meet with those within the FFA who are interested in further discussion.
3.5.1 Copies of Student Competition opportunities will be photocopied and placed in your mailboxes for any of your students whom you think would be interested.

IV Items for Discussion/Action

4.1 Deadlines for New Media Month Call for Submissions (Smith) (Please refer to Will Smith’s handout outlining the New Media Month activities for specific details) Daniela Sirbu volunteered to work on the poster creation for New Media month, but has requested specific information be sent to her quickly. Christopher Moore has volunteered to work with the web presence in promoting New Media Month.

4.2 NMED Departmental Policies (Clearwater) David discussed the existing W700 Usage policy and asked for suggestions regarding necessary New Media policies. Below are the suggestions for policies which, David will begin outlining:
Independent Studies
B 5 Labs Usage & Equipment
Off Campus Personnel & Resources
Extended Lending of Equipment to Students
Plagiarism & Copyright Issues

4.3 NMED Students on Academic Probation (9) (Flaman/Clearwater)
The New Media department has a slightly higher academic probation average than normal. These students came in strong and there does not appear to be any reason why their GPA is lower. Incoming portfolio’s and GPA’s were in the higher range on admission.

4.4 Camera Repair (Fai) Nick reported that the older cameras and existing equipment are beginning to wear out. Some cameras are out for repairs and currently there are two cameras being fixed, where the bill is close to the purchasing amount. Nick is waiting for an estimate on a third camera.

David and Nick will discuss purchasing new cameras and report at a later meeting.

4.5 Artist Talk and Possible MAX/MSP workshop: Ian Birse and Laura Kavanaugh (Moore). Christopher has been in correspondence with artists Ian Birse and Laura Kavanaugh from Calgary and has been approached for the department to sponsor a Visiting Artist Performance with these individuals. Christopher will explore this possibility and obtain more information for further discussion at a later date.

4.6 Hardware/Software Budget Discussion (Fai/Clearwater)

Motion for the NMED Department to adopt a 3-Year Lab Rotation Clearwater/Gallie. Carried

V Other Business – None

VI Adjournment - Gallie 3:00 p.m.

Comments (0)

Friday, January 21, 2005

New Media Faculty Meeting Minutes #27 

Wednesday, December 1, 2004
1:00, W866

Minutes # 27

Present: David Clearwater, Chair, Bob Cousins, Nick Fai, Jill Flaman, Terry Gallie, James Graham, Christopher Moore, Anna Pickering, Daniela Sirbu, Will Smith, and Jill Payant, Recording Secretary.

Regrets: Jeff Milner, Student Representative

I Adoption of the Agenda – with the following additions
3.7 NMED (Smith)
3.8 Art Now (Graham)
Graham/Gallie, Carried

II Adoption of and Business Arising from the Previous Minutes # 25 & #26 (sent to the department members on Tuesday, November 30, 2004)
Pickering/Flaman, Carried

III Items for Information
3.1 Chair’s Report
3.1.1 Faculty, please remind students about the newmedia-l listserve and how important it is for students to register with it. Important information and job postings will come via this route in the near future. The department will also be looking for an additional student representative and will run this nomination process again. Students will be notified through the newmedia-l listserve.
3.1.2 W850 – Due to internal issues, David has reminded the faculty members that support staff in W850 report to and perform labors on behalf of the Chairs’ of their respective departments. In addition, any requests approved by the Chair and forwarded to the Support Staff need to be directed to the Administrative Support designated for their department. Please adhere to this policy.

In regards to mail service issues the following motion was made:
Motion: To establish a mail process for the New Media Department that would entail outgoing mail or packages be correctly packaged and addressed by the faculty member before being brought to the New Media Administrative Support, whereon, a New Media designated FOAPAL number would be affixed to the outgoing package and sent to Mail Services. A tracking number (when available) will be provided back to the faculty member to monitor the items whereabouts.
Graham/Pickering, Carried.

3.1.3 David reminded the faculty to review the tentative teaching schedule for fall 2005 (please refer to the handout from Minutes # 26). He asks that you forward any feedback to him regarding this schedule.

3.2 New Media Month (Smith) (Please refer to the December Calendar handout) Will Smith reminded the department about the upcoming March 2005 schedule. The SAAG Opening on March 4, 2005 is solid.

In addition, Will handed out a planning guide/questionnaire for any submissions for the March 19th Lethbridge Faculty and Staff Showing. Please take a moment to fill this out and return to Will Smith as soon as possible and no later than December 6, 2004 as he will be gone shortly after this date for the holidays.

As well, Will has supplied a Descriptive Review – (which he uses in his classes) for those who are considering a submission for the New Media Month activities.

3.3 November New Media Concert (Smith) Will indicated the attendance for the November 19, 2004 New Media/New Music Concert was the same as last year. Future consideration regarding ticket prices and continuation of this series will be discussed at a later meeting.

3.4 Extended Lab Hours (Fai/Clearwater) Nick reported the extended lab hours for the end of the fall 2004 semester are as follows, beginning December 4, 2004:
Regular Hours MTWTH
Fridays – 8:00 a.m. – Midnight
Saturdays – 10:00 a.m. – Midnight
Sundays – 12:00 p.m. – Midnight

3.5 Visiting Professor Hei Young Shin (Clearwater) Professor Shin will arrive on December 24, 2004. No other information available at the moment.

3.6 Green Screens (Fai/Clearwater) Because the current green screen is in bad shape, two other screens were ordered and received but have been deemed inadequate to fit the needs of the New Media Department. These screens will be returned and a new one will be purchased. Until then, the department is back to having one screen which is housed in W700.

3.7 NMED 1000 (Smith) (Please refer to the NMED 1000A Student Aut 2004 handout) Will provided this information for consideration and possible use in recruitment and curriculum issues.

3.8 Art Now (Graham/Clearwater) Victoria Baster indicated that she is interested in opening up Art Now speaking spaces for individuals who are related to New Media. If you have ideas or names for incoming and visiting speakers, please forward your information to David.

IV Items for Discussion/Action

4.1 New Media Capital Needs (Moore) Please submit any proposal
information to Christopher Moore preferably before all dissipates for the holidays.

4.2 MOCAP Session conflict with Classes (Smith/Graham)
Because MOCAP equipment will be removed from the premises during the holidays, and not available for the first day of classes in spring 2005, Will Smith indicated that the first day of his Motion Capture 4850A class will be cancelled. He will notify his class of this.

4.3 Film & Video Equipment, Distribution Concerns,
Facility/Staffing Needs (Gallie) Terry reported that proctors are having a hard time with all of the lending out and returning of camera and lighting equipment. He further indicated that storage is an issue.

A brief conversation ensued regarding the possibility of hiring a student technician. [finincial details removed] Other day and hour combinations as well as sign out systems briefly discussed, with no decisions made. David will look into where this budget allocation will come from if this becomes a firm solution.

V Other Business
5.1 Recruitment (Flaman) Jill reported that she has visited Calgary and Edmonton recently and is awaiting feedback from these presentations. She further indicated that she would be recruiting again in the early spring semester.

David suggested Jill work with Christopher on updating the web page and including recruitment information.

5.2 Internship Information (Pickering) A committee-like approach has been initiated for the small percentage and occasional Student Internship that falls outside of the norm. This ad-hoc committee will consist of the Chair, Anna Pickering and another individual whose specialty is along the lines of the intern.

5.3 Condolences offered to Bob Cousins regarding the recent passing of his father.

5.4 Condolences offered to Jill Payant regarding the recent passing of her brother-in-law.

5.5 Congratulations to Amrita and Sameer Deshpande on the recent birth of their son, on November 19, 2004.

VI Adjournment – Pickering 2:10 p.m.

Comments (0)